Thursday, August 30, 2007

Why I Hate Will Smith

Several times in the past few weeks, I’ve encountered metrobuses emblazoned with the phrase “Will Smith is going. Are you?” I don’t know what sort of event or activity these advertisements are advertising, and I don’t much care. In fact, Will Smith’s attendance or inclusion to just about anything would make me avoid it. I can’t stand Will Smith. I don’t care if he’s a huge box office draw (despite his limited range), the “most powerful actor on the planet,” or good-looking in a non-threatening way, or whatever. I can’t stand him.

I have no objections to the whole clean-cut and wholesome thing. There is nothing wrong with being either clean-cut or wholesome. I appear rather clean-cut myself. And I feel that modern American culture could probably use a little more wholesomeness. What causes me to detest Will Smith is his smugness about being clean-cut and wholesome. It’s great that his grandma told him not to cuss and to respect women. But dude, don’t brag about the fact that you don’t cuss in raps, as if that makes you better than other MCs. That’s obnoxious. In the words of the bard of Detroit, Mr. Marshall Mathers: “Will Smith don’t gotta cuss to sell raps, well I do, so f**k him, and f**k you too.”

The other thing I dislike about him is his constant pursuit of the lowest common denominator, whether musically or on film. His desire to be as well-liked as possible by as many people as possible causes him to shy away from anything remotely controversial, and thus, artistically challenging. Musically, this trend became most apparent when he parted ways with DJ Jazzy Jeff, who really was keeping him real (with the exception of the unfortunate “Boom! Shake The Room!”). This is also about the same time he contributed to the unfortunate trend of rappers using their real name, rather than creating a witty sobriquet. (I only approve of rappers using their real names if they are going to repeatedly use a screwed & chopped sample of themselves saying their name throughout their songs. Mike Jones!) And speaking of the lowest common denominator, what sort of rapper puts out a love song to his son? How sentimental and maudlin can you possibly get? Gag me with a shovel. He insists upon using samples from well-known songs by Stevie Wonder, Chic or The Clash, rather than actually working with producers who will come up with something interesting and new.

The main reason this is such a shame is that the erstwhile Fresh Prince is actually a really good rapper. The dude can flow. “Parents Just Don’t Understand” and “Girls Ain’t Nothing but Trouble” are deservedly ensconced in the pantheon of hip-hop classics. And “Summertime,” perhaps the duo’s greatest concoction, is one of the great jams of all time.

He has his defenders who will insist that he is a good actor. But that pursuit of the lowest common denominator is equally apparent when you examine his choice of movies. Let’s not forget that he has appeared in some truly God-awful films. He may have made Ali and Six Degrees of Separation, but he also made two Bad Boys movies. The first one was just piss-poor, but the second was so ludicrous and nonsensical that it actually crossed the line into camp. The only thing that saved these films was the comedic brilliance of the underrated Martin Lawrence. (Oh, and Gabrielle Union in the sequel. She’s got it going on.) Will Smith also appeared in Wild Wild West, which found two really talented actors (Kevin Kline & Kenneth Brannagh) slumming for a paycheck. He also was one of the leads in one of the worst blockbusters of all-time, Independence Day. In Enemy of the State his silly presence (combined with a bad script) created a mess that even Gene Hackman and Hollywood’s most underrated director couldn’t salvage. And the less said about “A Shark’s Tale” the better.

So, to sum up: I hate Will Smith.

11 comments:

Danielle said...

You are an idiot. And clearly jealous of Will's hair.

Will Smith is the coolest man ever invented.

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm... for someone who hates Will Smith so much you've sure seen a lot of his films! I dislike him purely for his self ingratiating smarminess. I've only sat through two of his films -- "Independence Day" and "Men in Black". I agree that "ID" was the worst blockbuster ever and "MIB" was fine (save for Mr. Smith's involvement). I've caught a few minutes, here and there, of other movies with surfing channels but, otherwise, I avoid him like the annoying blister he is.

Now THAT'S hate.

Anonymous said...

Oops, meant to type "while surfing channels". Oh, well, you get my drift.

Unknown said...

i gotta agree w/ the OP. never thought he was funny in 'fresh prince.' he boarders silly more than funny, alot like jim carrey.
and in his selcetion of movie its quite evident he WILL NOT do amovie if it smears his image or if he is not allowed to save the world. the only really good movie that ive seen him in is 'the legend of bagger vance.' not that movies like 'ali' were his fault. it just wasnt what i expected. again, i thought he was uncomfortable playing ali because it was a 'true story' of someone as grand as ali. i just see a "funny man" trying to play ali.
and then i thought he could have done something w/ pursuit of happiness. but then he has to put his own son in the movie. u know cuz, we just need to the smiths name out there a little more. and to be honest, and not to bash a kid, but he isnt a good actor. just hire someone next time.

Galimuna said...

Thank you very much! I thought I was the only one. I can't stand his ass and everytime I say that, people never agree and look at me like they're about to flip out. Not to mention his stans - they're pathetic! I never found Will Smith to be funny, but rather annoying. He is trying so hard and he's not the person he is claiming to be. He is a fraud, period. Never liked him.

plasticenepam said...

What I despise about Miss Will Smith (other than that he is an arrogant, candyass punk with limited talents) is his refusal to come out of the closet and admit he's gay. I mean, I know dozens of guys who have been fucked by him at THE HOLLYWOOD SPA. Common knowledge for years. His life with Jada is ONE BIG FUCKING LIE. I just cannot stand him. That shit-eating grin. I mean -- only some kind of inexplicable karma could ensure that someone this gross and unfunny could become as big a star as he has.......Just a big asshole. And it's big because he's been such a wide receiver for so many years now! LOL!!

plasticenepam said...

What I despise about Miss Will Smith (other than that he is an arrogant, candyass punk with limited talents) is his refusal to come out of the closet and admit he's gay. I mean, I know dozens of guys who have been fucked by him at THE HOLLYWOOD SPA. Common knowledge for years. His life with Jada is ONE BIG FUCKING LIE. I just cannot stand him. That shit-eating grin. I mean -- only some kind of inexplicable karma could ensure that someone this gross and unfunny could become as big a star as he has.......Just a big asshole. And it's big because he's been such a wide receiver for so many years now! LOL!!

plasticenepam said...

What I despise about Miss Will Smith (other than that he is an arrogant, candyass punk with limited talents) is his refusal to come out of the closet and admit he's gay. I mean, I know dozens of guys who have been fucked by him at THE HOLLYWOOD SPA. Common knowledge for years. His life with Jada is ONE BIG FUCKING LIE. I just cannot stand him. That shit-eating grin. I mean -- only some kind of inexplicable karma could ensure that someone this gross and unfunny could become as big a star as he has.......Just a big asshole. And it's big because he's been such a wide receiver for so many years now! LOL!!

Cathy said...

Well, as long as people are bashing Will Smith, I'll put in my two cents. I never liked him, think he's ugly and OH those ears! His kids aren't the least bit cute either. I don't like his acting. I don't like his "I hate the world-by-the-ass" attitude, and he is such a simpleton! I just really can't stand him either! I've always thought too that he's gay and doesn't want to come out of the closet. It makes me wonder if wives married to gay guys even suspect that they're gay or are in denial or what. She probably doesn't even care, as long as they have all those millions coming their way. I hate actors to begin with, thinking they're all that and they're just more faces on this over-crowded planet.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.